Last weekend I went to my sister’s to give her kitchen chair seat cushions some much need TLC!
Two kids, a dog, a cat and cleaning solutions that made things worse meant it was time for a change! Neither one of us have done this before! ….BUT we were determined and there is always PINTEREST!
Here is Patch saying “goodbye” to the old cover 🙂
We took measurements of the four chairs and bench– front to back and side to side– and went to Hobby Lobby to pick out fabric. With the help of the sales assistant, we were told we needed two yards of fabric. It was on SALE for 30% off!
My sister decided on this pretty green shade with a diamond pattern. She bought two yards for less than $20!
We flipped the chairs over on the dining table and unscrewed the four screws that held the cushion in place. Easy enough!
Now for the hard part—removing the staples that held the fabric in place. Let’s be honest here, after many failed attempts, a couple of bandaids and frustration, we just cut around the staples!!
Here is a pic of how many staples we were working with!
The staples would break and we tried pulling them with pliers. It was a mess…..hence the cutting around the staples!
Finally, the cushions were free. You can see the remaining fabric with staples.
We turned the fabric over, measured 4 inches on either side and cut it.
The sales assistant at Hobby Lobby told us to fold the fabric one time before we stapled it so that it wouldn’t fray.
Next, it was time to staple. (Please notice the bandaid on my sister’s finger–I had a matching one 🙂 … no, we are not professionals. Just showing you that even a novice can do this.)
The finished product!
We were proud of our hard work. Yes, it was harder than it looked. But, $20 and about five hours later, including the trip to Hobby Lobby, we were satisfied.